BNC 2016 Ecumenical Church Service
Sunday, July 31st 2016 @ 9am
History About the Church Service Location
The Cathedral Church of Saint Michael and All Angels (formerly The St. Michael's Parish Church), is an Anglican church located on St. Michael's Row, two blocks east of National Heroes Square; at the centre of Bridgetown, Barbados. The Cathedral is the tallest of the Anglican (Church of England) houses of worship within Barbados.
Originally consecrated in 1665, and then rebuilt in 1789, it was elevated to Cathedral status in 1825 with the appointment of Bishop Coleridge to head the newly created Diocese of Barbados and the Leeward Islands.
The first parish church to be built was the St. Michael's Parish Church, which was located where the St. Mary's Anglican Church now stands. The original St. Michael's Parish Church was a small wooden church constructed between 1660 and 1665. Destroyed by a hurricane in 1780, the church was rebuilt nine years later. The church was later damaged in the great hurricane of 1831 but not destroyed. When the Diocese of Barbados was established, the St. Michael's Parish Church became the St. Michael's Cathedral, with Bishop William Hart Coleridge as its first bishop in 1825.
The St. Michael Cathedral is made of coral stone with a beautiful tower and stunning stained glass windows. Inside the church is a marble baptismal font dating to the 17th century. The Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament was added in 1938 and features a roof covered in wallaba heartwood shingles and a Canterbury Cross on the northern wall.
The St. Michael's Cathedral continues to be used as a place of regular worship. In the 21st century, it is working to raise funds to restore the building.In the church's graveyard are the graves of two of Barbados' most outstanding public figures: Sir Grantley Adams (the first chief minister of Barbados and the first and only Prime Minister of the West Indies Federation) and that of his son, Tom Adams, the island's second Prime Minister. Sources : Wikipedia - Cathedral Church of Saint Michael and All Angels
THE WORSHIPPER'S COLLECTION TAKEN DURING THE SERVICE WILL BE DONATED TO THE CHURCH RESTORATION FUND.
Cultural Heritage Bus Party Tour
Tuesday, August 2nd 2016 from 2 to 6pm
The Cultural Heritage Bus Party Tour will leave Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre (LESC), Two Mile Hill, St. Michael at 2 pm and travel through the UNESCO World Heritage Site - Historic Bridgetown and its Garrison (http://barbadosworldheritage.com/news/photo-galleries), also home to the Barbados Museum and Historical Society. The Cultural and Historical stops include : Tour of Museum (Bussa Exhibition & Trents Exhibition); Tour of Garrison area - stop at Main Guard and Fort at HIlton; Enter Bridgetown - Jubilee Gardens, Synagogue; Roebuck Street. Sights include - Gun Hill Signal Station; Sea Island Cotton Factory; Andrews Sugar Factory; other scenic and cultural heritage stops along the way including Oistins on the south-coast before returning home to LESC.
The mode of transportation - the Bajan Open Bus includes the fleet of Vintage buses known as The Rocklyn, General and Elite. These buses were refurbished in Barbados by some of the same woodscraftmen that worked on the open buses years ago. These vintage buses come with modern day adjustments for passenger's safety and enjoyment. A Tour guide will be on board to answer any questions regarding our island Barbados.
Limited Seats available!
The cost per person - $55.00 Bds.
Have any questions? Please don't hesitate to CONTACT US Today.